Most popular Games
Slender The Nine P…
The House 2
The Slenderman Onl…
Silent Hill Room 3…
Slender Man 2D: Sa…
The Horror House
The Lost Souls
Escape The House O…
Real Horror Storie…
Slender Man 3D
Death Embrace Esca…
Secret of Mystery …
Slender Mystery Fo…
Welcome to DarkHorrorGames (DHG) Online Games
DarkHorrorGames is a website devoted only to horror online games. We don't care about zombies or monsters unless they bring in the atmosphere of pure evil and a sticky sense of blood and absolute horror. Online games will give you a glimpse at what older rated console games are like.
So, what does make a horror game scary?
Online horror games are slightly more popular now because they are severely underserved in the PC and games console world. Horror games are almost none existent, since most horror premises are co-opted into action games. Apparently, hunting down aliens or genetic mutations is no longer a subject for scary games, and is just used as an excuse for another action game. There have been some scary games in the past. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were frightening, as were the early Resident Evil games, with Resident Evil 4 winning all the prizes. Dead Space has its moments, as does Manhunt.
What is so scary about horror games?
With games like Manhunt, it is probably the sheer violence. With Slender (the 3D versions), it is the creepy feeling of being followed. With the Resident evil games, it is the silent arena that makes those scary moments more shocking. Plus, most of the Resident evil games put you against increasingly difficult foes with increasingly less ammo.
Silent hill 1 and 2 were the scariest, due in part to the difficult the handle controls, the feeling of isolation, the very scary noises and music, and the general lack of visibility. Other games have tried to recreate this by not allowing the user to see the floor, but it does not recreate what Silent Hill 1 and 2 managed to achieve.
Are scary online games hit or miss?
Yes they are. But, it always seems to be the ones that show you too much that are the biggest losers. Even with a point-and-click game, if you are only shown a quick flash of possible something, then it is better than the severed head in the paper basket. The popup scary pranks in the games are okay, but they become tired for the more hardcore horror gamer. It is the ones that tease you more that are the best, such as if you click on a photo to have a closer look, and you think you see the little girl in the picture blink.
WARNING: Some images in games on this website might be disturbing for you. Yet, there is no risk or personal/emotional investment, so if you see something that you don't like, simply close the window.
UPDATE: Due to the increased interest in the escape games I decided to initiate a new project entitled Cool Escape Games, which contains not only horror but also all other types of escape games, such as house, prison and room escape
Dark Horror Comments
- awsomewarrior commented on Eyes : great game.
- SweetAceQ commented on Ghostescape 2 The Cabin : Not very scary, or challenging, but fun...I guess ^.^
- SweetAceQ commented on Being One : It was an alright game, I suppose. A little confusing, but alright....
- xxgeekygurl86 commented on Slender Bones Of Children 2 : Good, and really scary. Dat face doe;3 Could be in 3D though...?
- xxgeekygurl86 commented on Escape The House Of Fear : Its a good game, but it needs to be more scary. For example, sound effects (screams/footsteps etc) and the 'ghosts' could pop up, not just stand around.
- SweetAceQ commented on The House 2 : Nice and simple game, loved the jump scares ^.^
- xxgeekygurl86 commented on Cellar Door : Creeped Out:3
- Creepyalex commented on Slenderman Must Die : Wow! Best jump scares I've had in a very long time, way to go game :)
- thequeenofhearts commented on Purgatorium : not bad.
- BlueSoda commented on Evil Doll : I survived it! No joke! I was at school when I did it and I screamed when I did it lol. Basically all I did was hang around in the room where it originally goes to and then headed back to the bathroom ( doll was gone) walked around the halls for a little bit more. Then I went back into the bathroom and waited thee, went out and walked around the halls and then it came up with 'You Survived' or something like that. Bearing in mind the laptop was on mute because we wasn't allowed to play games haha I was well please myself ( 13 year old girl)