Most popular Games
The House 2
Slender The Nine P…
The Slenderman Onl…
Slender Man 2D: Sa…
Escape The House O…
The Horror House
Slender Winter Edi…
Silent Hill Room 3…
Slenderman Must Di…
Slender Man 3D
Slender Mystery Fo…
The Lost Souls
Real Horror Storie…
Death Embrace Esca…
Welcome to DarkHorrorGames (DHG) Online Games
DarkHorrorGames is a website devoted only to horror online games. We don't care about zombies or monsters unless they bring in the atmosphere of pure evil and a sticky sense of blood and absolute horror. Online games will give you a glimpse at what older rated console games are like.
So, what does make a horror game scary?
Online horror games are slightly more popular now because they are severely underserved in the PC and games console world. Horror games are almost none existent, since most horror premises are co-opted into action games. Apparently, hunting down aliens or genetic mutations is no longer a subject for scary games, and is just used as an excuse for another action game. There have been some scary games in the past. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were frightening, as were the early Resident Evil games, with Resident Evil 4 winning all the prizes. Dead Space has its moments, as does Manhunt.
What is so scary about horror games?
With games like Manhunt, it is probably the sheer violence. With Slender (the 3D versions), it is the creepy feeling of being followed. With the Resident evil games, it is the silent arena that makes those scary moments more shocking. Plus, most of the Resident evil games put you against increasingly difficult foes with increasingly less ammo.
Silent hill 1 and 2 were the scariest, due in part to the difficult the handle controls, the feeling of isolation, the very scary noises and music, and the general lack of visibility. Other games have tried to recreate this by not allowing the user to see the floor, but it does not recreate what Silent Hill 1 and 2 managed to achieve.
Are scary online games hit or miss?
Yes they are. But, it always seems to be the ones that show you too much that are the biggest losers. Even with a point-and-click game, if you are only shown a quick flash of possible something, then it is better than the severed head in the paper basket. The popup scary pranks in the games are okay, but they become tired for the more hardcore horror gamer. It is the ones that tease you more that are the best, such as if you click on a photo to have a closer look, and you think you see the little girl in the picture blink.
WARNING: Some images in games on this website might be disturbing for you. Yet, there is no risk or personal/emotional investment, so if you see something that you don't like, simply close the window.
UPDATE: Due to the increased interest in the escape games I decided to initiate a new project entitled Cool Escape Games, which contains not only horror but also all other types of escape games, such as house, prison and room escape
Dark Horror Comments
- ydta_14 commented on Five Nights At Freddy's Part 2 : It says I need a password to complete the download What password are they talking about? Please help
- scary_kid commented on Slendytubbies : I was finally able to play this game and I must say, it's one of my favourite games here, it's scary and it has those jump-screen-scares :D so creepy :) deff 5 stars
- scary_kid commented on Vapour: Borders of Purgatory - prototype 2 : pretty good game in my oppinion ... I've downloaded it yesterday and I was playing it for abt 1h ... jumpscares are creepy, and it's really tense ... I think everyone should try it ...
- Miss_Choco commented on Five Nights At Freddy's Part 2 : Fnaf 3 is released. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0gvX504V5g
- !Cuzwhy commented on Slendytubbies 2 : lol
- Scarecrow commented on Five Nights At Freddy's 1 (PC game) : Scary game XD
- HeerKhan commented on Dead Lab : i installed unity web player but still cant play the game help pleaseee
- serialzero commented on Don't Escape 2 - The Outbreak : It wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be, but I agree that it was pretty intense nonetheless, and that they should definitely make more. X3
- dark commented on Vapour: Borders of Purgatory - prototype 2 : What's your experience with the Vapor?
- HellaRadKawaiiCat commented on Don't Escape 2 - The Outbreak : A lot more intense than the previous one. They should make more of this title.:3
- scary_kid commented on The Deepest Sleep : hell yes, it's creepppy , great game btw
- scary_kid commented on Deep Sleep : pretty creepy game I love it
- scary_kid commented on Unholy Flesh : why it says "download the latest Adobe Flash Player" and I have it already :( always something :( :(
- scary_kid commented on Darker Ride Escape : hmmm I think this game was pretty easy , idk , I'm reading ya comments and I'm asking myself did we played da same game :D I took less than 15 minutes to solve it. btw I didnt saw any jumpscares thru this game .... :(
- VexonzHeartz commented on Slendytubbies : You need to press E when you're ready to start 😊
- Tyro619 commented on Catharsis : It wont load for me and I so desperately want to play it. Anyone else have this problem?
- ILUVHORROR commented on Lonely Asylum : cool game :)
- serialzero commented on Slendytubbies : Yeah, this game seems really, really broken. I can start it, but I can't escape the first area. There's this invisible wall preventing me from going in further. The sound cuts in and out, and the mouse cursor is doing that weird thing where it goes too far outside the box and screws up my movement. XP
- scary_kid commented on Slendytubbies : hey guys, does anyone else has the same problems as I do with this game? I cant play it, I see only some cubes , lines and weird brown-black-white colors. Can U help me with that? I even tried to change the graphics but it seems thats not the problem i have ,same problem with the part 2 . any recommendations? thx
- scary_kid commented on The Lost Souls : it happens when i click START ... :(
- scary_kid commented on The Lost Souls : for some reason i cant play it ... i see only black screen but I hear all sounds of this game.. weird...
- scary_kid commented on Death Embrace 3 : I gave only 2 stars to this game because it's really too easy, U dont need to turn on Ur brain at all to win this game, I wish it was more difficult ...
- scary_kid commented on Eyes : when it says RUN I'm already dead :D
- scary_kid commented on Slenderman Torture Chambers : pretty good, a lots of jumpscares as well and a really weird atmosphere...
- scary_kid commented on Death Embrace 3 : ooopss, tooooo easy :/
- Creepyalex commented on Death Embrace 3 : Really easy game :)
- scary_kid commented on Ghostescape 2 The Cabin : just okay... I needed an hour to complete the game :D the most interesting part of this game is the dolly :) she is creepy as hell
- scary_kid commented on Minotaur Maze : pretty good music :) anyways, I cant run away from him :D
- dark commented on Five Nights At Freddy's Part 2 : download link has been updated. to unpack zip file, please use the password 'dark'.
- serialzero commented on Don't Escape 2 - The Outbreak : Crap. Failed my first attempt at getting the "no bullets fired" badge. I probably should have recruited Bernard for that. XD