Most Popular Horror Games
The House 2
Slender The Nine P…
The Horror House
Slender Man 2D: Sa…
Slender The 8 Page…
Escape The House O…
Slender Winter Edi…
Silent Hill Room 3…
The Cursed Forest
Slenderman Must Di…
Five Nights At Fre…
The Lost Souls
Slender Mystery Fo…
Real Horror Storie…
Five Nights At Fre…
Slender Man 3D
Welcome to DarkHorrorGames (DHG) Online Games
DarkHorrorGames is a website devoted only to horror online games. We don't care about zombies or monsters unless they bring in the atmosphere of pure evil and a sticky sense of blood and absolute horror. Online games will give you a glimpse at what older rated console games are like.
So, what does make a horror game scary?
Online horror games are slightly more popular now because they are severely underserved in the PC and games console world. Horror games are almost none existent, since most horror premises are co-opted into action games. Apparently, hunting down aliens or genetic mutations is no longer a subject for scary games, and is just used as an excuse for another action game. There have been some scary games in the past. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were frightening, as were the early Resident Evil games, with Resident Evil 4 winning all the prizes. Dead Space has its moments, as does Manhunt.
What is so scary about horror games?
With games like Manhunt, it is probably the sheer violence. With Slender (the 3D versions), it is the creepy feeling of being followed. With the Resident evil games, it is the silent arena that makes those scary moments more shocking. Plus, most of the Resident evil games put you against increasingly difficult foes with increasingly less ammo.
Silent hill 1 and 2 were the scariest, due in part to the difficult the handle controls, the feeling of isolation, the very scary noises and music, and the general lack of visibility. Other games have tried to recreate this by not allowing the user to see the floor, but it does not recreate what Silent Hill 1 and 2 managed to achieve.
Are scary online games hit or miss?
Yes they are. But, it always seems to be the ones that show you too much that are the biggest losers. Even with a point-and-click game, if you are only shown a quick flash of possible something, then it is better than the severed head in the paper basket. The popup scary pranks in the games are okay, but they become tired for the more hardcore horror gamer. It is the ones that tease you more that are the best, such as if you click on a photo to have a closer look, and you think you see the little girl in the picture blink.
WARNING: Some images in games on this website might be disturbing for you. Yet, there is no risk or personal/emotional investment, so if you see something that you don't like, simply close the window.
UPDATE: Due to the increased interest in the escape games I decided to initiate a new project entitled Cool Escape Games, which contains not only horror but also all other types of escape games, such as house, prison and room escape
Dark Horror Comments
- cordelia commented on Kogama Slender - 3D Slender Wants Your Soul : @dark Good to hear! ;D
- dark commented on Kogama Slender - 3D Slender Wants Your Soul : np @cordelia . this one lags a little bit at first, but it's playable. will do my best to find new games
- cordelia commented on Kogama Slender - 3D Slender Wants Your Soul : Cool game, @dark! Thanks for uploading. :)
- dark commented on Kogama Slender - 3D Slender Wants Your Soul : don't try to register..it'll take you to other site :( I've uploaded this just to show you the game. thanks!
- cordelia commented on Forgotten Hill Puppeteer - Weird Mystery Case To Investigate : Finally got out! Awesome game. :)
- cordelia commented on Forgotten Hill Puppeteer - Weird Mystery Case To Investigate : Man, that puppet is hard to get right! :/
- purple guy commented on Forgotten Hill Puppeteer - Weird Mystery Case To Investigate : @Dark thank you bro stay awesome !!!
- dark commented on Forgotten Hill Puppeteer - Weird Mystery Case To Investigate : thanks purple guy, doing my best. btw nice avatar
- purple guy commented on Forgotten Hill Puppeteer - Weird Mystery Case To Investigate : Good One Dark As Always !!! ;3
- dark commented on Slender Woods - Puzzle Solver Game With Slendy Behind Your Back : Special thanks to Scientist who suggested this game in pm. Plus if the link stop working, let me know in pm. enjoy
- Joseph Kay commented on Atrocitys 2: The Revenge - Cold Murder Case : 1 star
- Joseph Kay commented on Atrocitys - Part 1 - Pretty bad ending tbh : horrible game. that's it.
- cordelia commented on Factory Of Fear - Another Horror House Walkthrough : The end was sorta weird but all in all not a bad game! :)
- scary_kid commented on Factory Of Fear - Another Horror House Walkthrough : hmm, not the worst but surely not the best game I've ever played... there was only one unexpected jumpscare :D and it totally worked. :D
- dark commented on Mad Father - Indie Horror RPG : @scary_kid thank you.
- scary_kid commented on Mad Father - Indie Horror RPG : honestly, I'm enjoying this game so far. thanks for adding it @dark :)
- scary_kid commented on Mad Father - Indie Horror RPG : I'm going to install this game and try it out now :D looks interesting ...
- Mercenary777 commented on Atrocitys - Part 1 - Pretty bad ending tbh : it's like a tour through a cheap horror house.
- ASAP commented on Atrocitys - Part 1 - Pretty bad ending tbh : this game not good
- dark commented on Mad Father - Indie Horror RPG : wanted to check it out long time ago, but never had time. maybe it's too soft for dhg, what do you say
- cordelia commented on Psai - Escape From Serial Killer : @dark Haha "wakey wakey - it's time to die" ;p
- Scientist commented on Psai - Escape From Serial Killer : I don't know why, but I couldn't do the ending, I wanted to kill him with the saw but it didn't work, mouse was highlighted red but I clicked and nothing happened, I'll consider it beaten without walkthrough. ( I watched the walkthrough at the end when I had the saw ) It was a pretty thrilling game, good job. If that happened to me in real life, I would just keep the knife or axe and directly kill him.
- scary_kid commented on Psai - Escape From Serial Killer : whoww, I escaped :D after a long battle with the controls I finally made it :D good game tho... :)
- dark commented on Psai - Escape From Serial Killer : @cordelia, yeah me too, the thing with hands was irritating. other than that it was fun. wakey wakey - it's time to die :))
- cordelia commented on Psai - Escape From Serial Killer : Good game! The controls were super weird though. I kept accidentally looking at my hands. :/
- scary_kid commented on Midnight Man 3D : @whenbirdsfly idk bou' you but I know I got outside and I was peeking thru the window at MidnightMan he was just running all over the place, that was the silliest thing I've ever seen xD
- WhenBirdsFly commented on Midnight Man 3D : @scarykid I can't seem to get outdoors because in the beginning he is by the door and if I get off the bed after he is inside I automatically die.
- WhenBirdsFly commented on Midnight Man 3D : I relight the candle but still die
- Mercenary777 commented on Amea - Post-apocalyptic Adventure : Love this game. It actually has a plot. :D
- WhenBirdsFly commented on Being One - Episode 3 - Dark Matter : I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but I would really enjoy if more 3D unity games were uploaded, I find those more enjoyable than point and click