Most popular Games
The House 2
Slender The Nine P…
Slender Man 2D: Sa…
Escape The House O…
The Horror House
Slender Winter Edi…
Silent Hill Room 3…
Slenderman Must Di…
Slender Man 3D
Slender Mystery Fo…
The Lost Souls
Real Horror Storie…
Death Embrace Esca…
Welcome to DarkHorrorGames (DHG) Online Games
DarkHorrorGames is a website devoted only to horror online games. We don't care about zombies or monsters unless they bring in the atmosphere of pure evil and a sticky sense of blood and absolute horror. Online games will give you a glimpse at what older rated console games are like.
So, what does make a horror game scary?
Online horror games are slightly more popular now because they are severely underserved in the PC and games console world. Horror games are almost none existent, since most horror premises are co-opted into action games. Apparently, hunting down aliens or genetic mutations is no longer a subject for scary games, and is just used as an excuse for another action game. There have been some scary games in the past. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were frightening, as were the early Resident Evil games, with Resident Evil 4 winning all the prizes. Dead Space has its moments, as does Manhunt.
What is so scary about horror games?
With games like Manhunt, it is probably the sheer violence. With Slender (the 3D versions), it is the creepy feeling of being followed. With the Resident evil games, it is the silent arena that makes those scary moments more shocking. Plus, most of the Resident evil games put you against increasingly difficult foes with increasingly less ammo.
Silent hill 1 and 2 were the scariest, due in part to the difficult the handle controls, the feeling of isolation, the very scary noises and music, and the general lack of visibility. Other games have tried to recreate this by not allowing the user to see the floor, but it does not recreate what Silent Hill 1 and 2 managed to achieve.
Are scary online games hit or miss?
Yes they are. But, it always seems to be the ones that show you too much that are the biggest losers. Even with a point-and-click game, if you are only shown a quick flash of possible something, then it is better than the severed head in the paper basket. The popup scary pranks in the games are okay, but they become tired for the more hardcore horror gamer. It is the ones that tease you more that are the best, such as if you click on a photo to have a closer look, and you think you see the little girl in the picture blink.
WARNING: Some images in games on this website might be disturbing for you. Yet, there is no risk or personal/emotional investment, so if you see something that you don't like, simply close the window.
UPDATE: Due to the increased interest in the escape games I decided to initiate a new project entitled Cool Escape Games, which contains not only horror but also all other types of escape games, such as house, prison and room escape
Dark Horror Comments
- slenderKING2 commented on Which : hey dark how doe you start it, it says download corrupted it wont work
- Smile_Dog commented on Sacrificium : there is ending A the dog and then ending B different
- Smile_Dog commented on Silent Hill Room 304 : i love this game i love the 2 jumpscares i wish there was more though
- Smile_Dog commented on The Horror House : it froze when i was playing...no fun i wanted to play
- Joseph Kay commented on Cellar Door : Great effects, great graphics,very scary, perfect game! I'm playing this and listening Onibi series, something is telling me that i won't sleep tonight xD
- Joseph Kay commented on Don't Escape : ok... without words.
- Joseph Kay commented on Slender Winter Edition : winter edition? what's that? SlenderKrisKringle? u.u oh god...
- Joseph Kay commented on Death Embrace 3 : mmm very easy and it's not scary... Can the strange experiment in the lab be my pet?
- Joseph Kay commented on Silent Hill Room 304 : I mean, I hate
- Joseph Kay commented on Silent Hill Room 304 : I have all the movies and the game too, i'm not suprised u.u
- Joseph Kay commented on Lonely Asylum : collect orbes is very fun :D
- Joseph Kay commented on Sacrificium : OK. It's very interesting. The backgrounds are amazing... but the interactive objects are a complete s*** haha... btw, it's not a bad game.
- Joseph Kay commented on Exmortis 2 : Aa very cool game... great pics
- Joseph Kay commented on The Horror House : vey creppy, The effects and the story are very good, but i think that this game need something more...idk
- Joseph Kay commented on Evil Doll : Well, i think that with an adaptation of this movie, the game is not enough, i really hate graphics and it's not scary. very disapointed.
- Joseph Kay commented on Real Horror Stories : The game is not very scary, but it's ok. I also had played the tablet ver.
- Gaia2007 commented on Don't Escape 2 - The Outbreak : Love it, want more!!
- scary_kid commented on Sacrificium : okay, i killed the dog and than the same happened "try again for the alternative ending" ? is that it? u have more endings, in my oppinion 2 ... or there is some final ending?
- scary_kid commented on Sacrificium : my favourite jumpscare is when you turn off-on-off-on the lamp :D must try that if U didnt :D
- scary_kid commented on Sacrificium : okay, when U chose door B U finished the game going thru some weird tunnel, but thats not the "alternative ending" .. Its seems you must kill the dog but I fail 2 times till now .. :D
- HellaRadKawaiiCat commented on Ghostescape : 21:31 with 297000 points. Really fun to play but that wardrobe though, not so much.
- Gaia2007 commented on The Horror House : @_@ God sooo creepy.....
- Gaia2007 commented on The Last Door - Prologue : Like it like a mini trailer game =)
- Gaia2007 commented on Sacrificium : The alternative ending is Spoiler Alert!!! the white tunnel, right? Do you suppose to die there? : 0 sorry if my english is rusty, I am from Argentina.
- serialzero commented on Sacrificium : Oh yeah, and the woman in the photograph was pretty creepy all on her own. It would have been cool if they had slowly made it deteriorate into a photo of a corpse. Something subtle at first so you're not sure if you were seeing what you were seeing, then the more you stared at it, the deader she became. Might have fit with the theme of the story, I think. *shrugs*
- serialzero commented on Sacrificium : Eh, it's OK. Nice visuals, but that's about it. I was annoyed that I had to start over from the beginning when the dog killed me. I had no idea where I was supposed to figure out the safe code, so I just ended up hitting random numbers. No lie, I managed to open it both times by doing that. XD
- scary_kid commented on Sanatorium : scissors are weird :D they simply disappeared but the game is kinda okay. not scary saying the truth but kinda complicated :)
- scary_kid commented on Sacrificium : okay, it has some jumpscares but the one thing i dont like is when u fail u must start from the beginning :(
- HellaRadKawaiiCat commented on Sacrificium : Its an alright game. A bit difficult at times but with nice visuals to set a creepy atmosphere.
- cute_but_scary commented on The Cursed Forest : BOOO YA !!!!!!!!!!!!!