Most Popular Horror Games
The House 2
Slender The Nine P…
The Horror House
Slender Man 2D: Sa…
Slender Winter Edi…
Escape The House O…
Silent Hill Room 3…
Slender The 8 Page…
The Cursed Forest
Slenderman Must Di…
Five Nights At Fre…
Slender Mystery Fo…
The Lost Souls
Real Horror Storie…
Five Nights At Fre…
Slender Man 3D
Welcome to DarkHorrorGames (DHG) Online Games
DarkHorrorGames is a website devoted only to horror online games. We don't care about zombies or monsters unless they bring in the atmosphere of pure evil and a sticky sense of blood and absolute horror. Online games will give you a glimpse at what older rated console games are like.
So, what does make a horror game scary?
Online horror games are slightly more popular now because they are severely underserved in the PC and games console world. Horror games are almost none existent, since most horror premises are co-opted into action games. Apparently, hunting down aliens or genetic mutations is no longer a subject for scary games, and is just used as an excuse for another action game. There have been some scary games in the past. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were frightening, as were the early Resident Evil games, with Resident Evil 4 winning all the prizes. Dead Space has its moments, as does Manhunt.
What is so scary about horror games?
With games like Manhunt, it is probably the sheer violence. With Slender (the 3D versions), it is the creepy feeling of being followed. With the Resident evil games, it is the silent arena that makes those scary moments more shocking. Plus, most of the Resident evil games put you against increasingly difficult foes with increasingly less ammo.
Silent hill 1 and 2 were the scariest, due in part to the difficult the handle controls, the feeling of isolation, the very scary noises and music, and the general lack of visibility. Other games have tried to recreate this by not allowing the user to see the floor, but it does not recreate what Silent Hill 1 and 2 managed to achieve.
Are scary online games hit or miss?
Yes they are. But, it always seems to be the ones that show you too much that are the biggest losers. Even with a point-and-click game, if you are only shown a quick flash of possible something, then it is better than the severed head in the paper basket. The popup scary pranks in the games are okay, but they become tired for the more hardcore horror gamer. It is the ones that tease you more that are the best, such as if you click on a photo to have a closer look, and you think you see the little girl in the picture blink.
WARNING: Some images in games on this website might be disturbing for you. Yet, there is no risk or personal/emotional investment, so if you see something that you don't like, simply close the window.
UPDATE: Due to the increased interest in the escape games I decided to initiate a new project entitled Cool Escape Games, which contains not only horror but also all other types of escape games, such as house, prison and room escape
Dark Horror Comments
- Cute Princess commented on Atrocitys - Part 1 - Pretty bad ending tbh : it's not a game, dude.... it's just point and click and see things.. Then the game ends abruptly..
- cordelia commented on The Grudge : Uggh games like these frustrate me. Probably just because I'm so bad at them though lol xp
- cordelia commented on Atrocitys - Part 1 - Pretty bad ending tbh : @scary_kid Haha saaame...the tab thing was a good idea but man those click spots are tiny! xD
- scary_kid commented on Atrocitys - Part 1 - Pretty bad ending tbh : goddammit I didn't know I could use 'tab' ...I was movin' my cursor as crazy person to find a clickable spot ... lol ... not bad but not good either, same as the 2nd part, nothing much to do...
- HeavenboundRob commented on Catharsis : good game i may say, it is pretty confusing is some areas, but overall, i like it :)
- HeavenboundRob commented on Unrested Souls : haven't gotten to purify all the rooms, but this game is pretty good, and she keeps popping up in almost any direction i take lol
- cordelia commented on Cellar Door : Clicking "share the truth" didn't seem to do much. :/ Not sure what I'm supposed to do now. Anything or..?
- cordelia commented on Cellar Door : I don't really "get" the ending though. Anyone?
- cordelia commented on Cellar Door : Yes! Finally found them all. :)
- ninja-chibi commented on Killer Escape 3 : This series in just pure genius. I absolutely love it!! The font in number 3 was a little difficult to read but the game was amazing none the less. I cannot wait for part 4!!
- ninja-chibi commented on Killer Escape 2: The Surgery : that. was. AMAZING. just finished it and it feels so satisfying seeing the end
- ninja-chibi commented on Killer Escape 2: The Surgery : killer escape was a good challenge but killer escape 2 is like mental torture
- GrlLovesHorrorGames commented on Exmortis 2 : I am NEVER playing this game again!!!! Was scarier than what I've expected, and the end scared the sh*t out of me!!!! O.O
- cordelia commented on Atrocitys 2: The Revenge - Cold Murder Case : @dark Oh okay. Yeah the second one is better imo!
- ElizaSilver commented on Real Horror Stories : Its very easy to get bored, especially when all your doing is clicking repeatedly. Some jumpscares are indeed good but by having it click multiple times, to me takes away from the experience. However it may be what makes the jumpscares effective. By having someone focus on the game itself. For me, it doesn't really work but for others, it works wonders. So this game for me is 3/5, it could be better but it could be so much worse. What you have is well done in a sense however so I will say this, Well Done.
- dark commented on Atrocitys 2: The Revenge - Cold Murder Case : nope we don't have first part yet. might add it though, wasn't sure whether it was worth it or not
- ninja-chibi commented on Killer Escape : that was AMAZING!!! great fun to play and extremely interesting. very well made.
- scary_kid commented on Atrocitys 2: The Revenge - Cold Murder Case : uhmm, not that good in my opinion. 3 stars
- cordelia commented on Cellar Door : Lovely game though
- cordelia commented on Cellar Door : I keep getting LOST somehow xD
- cordelia commented on Atrocitys 2: The Revenge - Cold Murder Case : We don't have the first one on here, do we? I couldn't find it.
- JaneTheKiller commented on Atrocitys 2: The Revenge - Cold Murder Case : I like it
- cordelia commented on Atrocitys 2: The Revenge - Cold Murder Case : I do wish it was longer though. Not much to do. :p
- cordelia commented on Atrocitys 2: The Revenge - Cold Murder Case : Very creepy vibe! Love the art.
- DarciJ commented on Seasons - Rusty Lake Cube Escape Puzzles : I finished all 4 in 20 minutes
- DarciJ commented on Cube Escape - The Mill : I LOVE THS GAME!!!!!!!!
- DarciJ commented on Killer Escape 3 : This series is freakin awesome. I can't wait until the 4th one
- DarciJ commented on Killer Escape 2: The Surgery : AMAZING!! I'm loving these
- horrorpenguin24 commented on Phobia - Teaser : I can't wait to try the real thing!!
- DarciJ commented on Ghostescape 2 The Cabin : Ugh took me over an hour!!! I only used one little hint on a walkthrough, and that was how to open the cave door with the shapes. Awesome game!!!!!!!!!!