Most Popular Horror Games
The House 2
Slender The Nine P…
The Horror House
Slender Man 2D: Sa…
Escape The House O…
Slender Winter Edi…
Silent Hill Room 3…
Slender The 8 Page…
The Cursed Forest
Slenderman Must Di…
Five Nights At Fre…
The Lost Souls
Slender Mystery Fo…
Real Horror Storie…
Five Nights At Fre…
Slender Man 3D
Welcome to DarkHorrorGames (DHG) Online Games
DarkHorrorGames is a website devoted only to horror online games. We don't care about zombies or monsters unless they bring in the atmosphere of pure evil and a sticky sense of blood and absolute horror. Online games will give you a glimpse at what older rated console games are like.
So, what does make a horror game scary?
Online horror games are slightly more popular now because they are severely underserved in the PC and games console world. Horror games are almost none existent, since most horror premises are co-opted into action games. Apparently, hunting down aliens or genetic mutations is no longer a subject for scary games, and is just used as an excuse for another action game. There have been some scary games in the past. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were frightening, as were the early Resident Evil games, with Resident Evil 4 winning all the prizes. Dead Space has its moments, as does Manhunt.
What is so scary about horror games?
With games like Manhunt, it is probably the sheer violence. With Slender (the 3D versions), it is the creepy feeling of being followed. With the Resident evil games, it is the silent arena that makes those scary moments more shocking. Plus, most of the Resident evil games put you against increasingly difficult foes with increasingly less ammo.
Silent hill 1 and 2 were the scariest, due in part to the difficult the handle controls, the feeling of isolation, the very scary noises and music, and the general lack of visibility. Other games have tried to recreate this by not allowing the user to see the floor, but it does not recreate what Silent Hill 1 and 2 managed to achieve.
Are scary online games hit or miss?
Yes they are. But, it always seems to be the ones that show you too much that are the biggest losers. Even with a point-and-click game, if you are only shown a quick flash of possible something, then it is better than the severed head in the paper basket. The popup scary pranks in the games are okay, but they become tired for the more hardcore horror gamer. It is the ones that tease you more that are the best, such as if you click on a photo to have a closer look, and you think you see the little girl in the picture blink.
WARNING: Some images in games on this website might be disturbing for you. Yet, there is no risk or personal/emotional investment, so if you see something that you don't like, simply close the window.
UPDATE: Due to the increased interest in the escape games I decided to initiate a new project entitled Cool Escape Games, which contains not only horror but also all other types of escape games, such as house, prison and room escape
Dark Horror Comments
- cordelia commented on Being One - Episode 3 - Dark Matter : That was awesome! Great game. :)
- scary_kid commented on Being One - Episode 3 - Dark Matter : freaky * mistyped ... ((no one cares)) :D
- scary_kid commented on Being One - Episode 3 - Dark Matter : That freeky jumpscare scared the hell out of me (I still don't know why xD ) ... Loved it anyway :D
- cordelia commented on Being One - Episode 2 - Point and click Bloodbath by Psionic : Omigosh, that first scare was so freaky! ^0^
- lyskys724 commented on Killer Escape : Awesome
- scary_kid commented on Being One - Episode 2 - Point and click Bloodbath by Psionic : Yeas !! :) *makes me happy* :D I like these series a lot, this episode is too short but good :) can't wait for the 3rd one :)
- dark commented on Being One - Episode 2 - Point and click Bloodbath by Psionic : the old series but I wanted to fill up the gaps in dhg collection with the missing episodes. ep 3 is under way too
- xkcsz commented on The Crooked Man : GG!
- xkcsz commented on The Grudge : I KNOW WHAT TO DO! I've found dis... eat the game heres how 1. first, look at your checklist. it will list a couple things you have to do. you need to complete those before you do anything else. here they are: a. call me when you get home. to do this just go to the room with a tv and click on the phone and press the yellow button. done! (press the black button to go away from it). b. mom's pills are in the bathroom. go upstairs and click on the sink picture. now click the cubboard. now there's gonna be some scary thing! but then you're done. c. get mom food from the refridgerator. just go into the tv room and click on the picture with lots of rice paper around it (there's also a kitchen table). now click on the refrigherator. now click it again when it flashing again. done! d. something about laundry. go to the porch and click on all of the photograph pictures. they will disappear. now go up the stairs, and click on the door straight ahead. click on it again boom! click on it again boom! and click it one more time sha-bam!! now open the closet (you could die here by chance) and hope you live, then click the closet again. done! i think thats all of them. but when you have all your chores done, go upstairs and click on the door on the right. warning: this part is scary! now open the white, flashing closet just a creak. now open it again (you could die here by chance) and hope you live, then see a little boy sitting in the closet. now click on the glowing blue opening over the closet (if you lived) to go to the attic. this is the part with the highest chance of you dieing. if you *somehow* (like i did) survive, move your mouse to the left, and grab the phone. click on it when it stops flashing. congragulations! you won! and ur welcome it easy but it quite scary
- xkcsz commented on The Grudge : What's the secret of this game?
- xkcsz commented on The Grudge : Master piece!
- xkcsz commented on Aberration Inside - Unity-based point and click adventure : This game is very good! I've never seen somethin' like this before.
- Shedreiplayz commented on The Grudge : pretty scary.
- s3n commented on Cube Escape Theatre - The scariest theatre you've been to : it has a taste of suspence and challenging as well needs more like this different from other games :D
- Shedreiplayz commented on Red Oz Part 1 - The Witch Hunt Begins : That was a little bit great for m3
- cordelia commented on Red Oz Part 1 - The Witch Hunt Begins : My skin was harvested?! 0_0
- cordelia commented on Cube Escape Theatre - The scariest theatre you've been to : That was awesome! Maybe the best one yet. Can't wait for another. :D
- fatinann commented on The Horror House : how do you play this game? how to move?
- dark commented on Red Oz Part 1 - The Witch Hunt Begins : yeah that worm pops out of nowhere.. Hyptosis didn't do things like that before
- TheLovelyHolly commented on Sacrificium : I did both endings. Ending A was upsetting because I had to kill a dog and ending B scared me a little because I wasn't prepared for the voice of the guy. For some reason that voice scared me. But since the point of playing these games is to get scared, I'm giving it a 4 star rating for ending B.
- Tala commented on Atrocitys 2: The Revenge - Cold Murder Case : A bit of an abrupt ending to this. Not as bad as the first one however. Wish the story had been a bit longer.
- Tala commented on Atrocitys - Part 1 - Pretty bad ending tbh : That really was a pretty bad ending. It just ended. That's it.
- scary_kid commented on Red Oz Part 1 - The Witch Hunt Begins : wasn't expecting a jumpscare in this game :D was a good one tho :D
- dark commented on Five Nights At Freddy's 1 - Online Remake : yup. fixed it too. hosting all fnaf games now on dhg, so they will remain playable ... forever
- dark commented on Five Nights At Freddy's 2 - Online Version : also fixed
- dark commented on Five Nights At Freddy's 3 - Online Version : fixed for good. I am hosting the game now
- dark commented on Five Nights At Freddy's 4 - Online Scratch : fixed for good. sorry about that.
- dark commented on Red Oz Part 1 - The Witch Hunt Begins : added in completely backwards order. actually the very first game in the series. there's no part 2.
- dark commented on Cube Escape Theatre - The scariest theatre you've been to : 4.5 stars ... good game
- Courtsx commented on Don't Escape : I love this game! I love all of the don't escape games!! they are so different from any other escape game!