Most Popular Horror Games
The House 2
Slender The Nine P…
The Horror House
Slender The 8 Page…
Slender Man 2D: Sa…
Escape The House O…
Silent Hill Room 3…
Slender Winter Edi…
The Cursed Forest
Slenderman Must Di…
The Lost Souls
Five Nights At Fre…
Slender Mystery Fo…
Slender The Arriva…
Real Horror Storie…
Five Nights At Fre…
Welcome to DarkHorrorGames (DHG) Online Games
DarkHorrorGames is a website devoted only to horror online games. We don't care about zombies or monsters unless they bring in the atmosphere of pure evil and a sticky sense of blood and absolute horror. Online games will give you a glimpse at what older rated console games are like.
So, what does make a horror game scary?
Online horror games are slightly more popular now because they are severely underserved in the PC and games console world. Horror games are almost none existent, since most horror premises are co-opted into action games. Apparently, hunting down aliens or genetic mutations is no longer a subject for scary games, and is just used as an excuse for another action game. There have been some scary games in the past. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were frightening, as were the early Resident Evil games, with Resident Evil 4 winning all the prizes. Dead Space has its moments, as does Manhunt.
What is so scary about horror games?
With games like Manhunt, it is probably the sheer violence. With Slender (the 3D versions), it is the creepy feeling of being followed. With the Resident evil games, it is the silent arena that makes those scary moments more shocking. Plus, most of the Resident evil games put you against increasingly difficult foes with increasingly less ammo.
Silent hill 1 and 2 were the scariest, due in part to the difficult the handle controls, the feeling of isolation, the very scary noises and music, and the general lack of visibility. Other games have tried to recreate this by not allowing the user to see the floor, but it does not recreate what Silent Hill 1 and 2 managed to achieve.
Are scary online games hit or miss?
Yes they are. But, it always seems to be the ones that show you too much that are the biggest losers. Even with a point-and-click game, if you are only shown a quick flash of possible something, then it is better than the severed head in the paper basket. The popup scary pranks in the games are okay, but they become tired for the more hardcore horror gamer. It is the ones that tease you more that are the best, such as if you click on a photo to have a closer look, and you think you see the little girl in the picture blink.
WARNING: Some images in games on this website might be disturbing for you. Yet, there is no risk or personal/emotional investment, so if you see something that you don't like, simply close the window.
UPDATE: Due to the increased interest in the escape games I decided to initiate a new project entitled Cool Escape Games, which contains not only horror but also all other types of escape games, such as house, prison and room escape
Dark Horror Comments
- scary_kid commented on Five Nights At Freddy's: Sister Location : It's a cool FNAF game, I've downloaded it two days ago from a different source and I can say it's one of the best! I really enjoyed playing this one!
- dark commented on Five Nights At Freddy's: Sister Location : I've just check the download link and I can confirm that it's working. enjoy the game.
- Aleks commented on The House 2 : then click on the picture again
- Aleks commented on The House 2 : then click on the note on the chair
- Aleks commented on The House 2 : once the ghost pops up she will drop a note
- Aleks commented on The House 2 : and u have to click the light switch to
- Aleks commented on The House 2 : you have to keep clicking the picture and the paper
- dark commented on Five Nights At Freddy's: Sister Location : the purpose of the game is to give you an idea of how the real game looks like. keeping 800MB file on my server is something I cannot afford. But, if you're fast enough you can grab this game from ocean of games' page as described in text (link provided)
- elcano commented on Cube Escape Theatre - The scariest theatre you've been to : it was easier than other cube escape games but still interesting and o love it.
- rabidsquirrel commented on Death Embrace Escape 2 : There was no threat so it was not scary, it can be done at any pace. I didnt find it scary but wasd quite good as far as basic puzzle games go. Worth a try.
- rabidsquirrel commented on Maryse : The noise that the cutlery monster makes is hilarious! It's worth playing just for that. Or if you like pixelated nudity.
- Vladtheinhaler commented on Maryse : Maryse needs to learn proper dressing for this game!
- Vladtheinhaler commented on Lodge Massacre : This game is decent, but the end boss is unbeatable.
- rabidsquirrel commented on Horror Room Escape 2 - Abandoned Hospital : I didnt find it scary but I enjoyed some of the puzzles.
- rabidsquirrel commented on Secret of Mystery House 3: The Bastien Curse : I actually enjoyed this game. I found it a bit hard to remember which rooms I had been in but it was a a basic but good mystery game. Would recommend it to a friend.
- Vladtheinhaler commented on Secret of Mystery House 3: The Bastien Curse : This game was very fun, played with a mate together on separate PC's, but it was easier having someone go through it with you, very good game, giving it a 4 star only because on my mate's PC, she had a difficult time, she has an older machine, and had a hard time keeping up.
- Diamond Dazzle Tiara commented on Red Oz Part 1 - The Witch Hunt Begins : Oh my celestia dat jumpscare gave me a heart attack! btw was my skin harvested?
- Diamond Dazzle Tiara commented on Memento : Oh celestia.. i just killed a person with a broken bottle
- Diamond Dazzle Tiara commented on The Last Stand 2 - The Shooting Continues : i'm like "Ahhh!!" When they run to the boxes XP
- mystical_monkey123 commented on Fingerbones : but i didnt like how i needed to guess the words
- mystical_monkey123 commented on Fingerbones : cool game
- red hood commented on Seasons - Rusty Lake Cube Escape Puzzles : i loved the game but how ever my only problem with it is that it does no really tell you the story of how the lady are the dark feager is.
- Robert Schweitzer commented on The Boogie Man - by Uri : this Game is very scary
- Robert Schweitzer commented on The Boogie Man - by Uri : i hate getting the Bad ending
- Robert Schweitzer commented on The Boogie Man - by Uri : i played the Boogieman Serialzero
- scary_kid commented on The Last Stand 2 - The Shooting Continues : shot, shot , shoooot :D well, it's pretty much the same thing as the first part. not that bad after all.
- Nintendude commented on Mad Father - Indie Horror RPG : I just got finished with the game. Its pretty good ive got both endings. Now im on a mission to find all the gems...
- scary_kid commented on Ask The Spirits 2 - Don't Mess With The Dead : This was fun. best part is , you can ask bunch of questions and the ghost will respond, not just Yes or No question. I like it :) Good Game @dark, thanks for adding it :)
- elcano commented on Ghostescape 2 The Cabin : not my fav
- elcano commented on Seasons - Rusty Lake Cube Escape Puzzles : all cube games have strong stories and make me think alot to solve the puzzles. this one was really amazing!