Most popular Games
The House 2
Slender The Nine P…
Slender Man 2D: Sa…
The Horror House
Slender Winter Edi…
Escape The House O…
Silent Hill Room 3…
Slenderman Must Di…
Slender Mystery Fo…
Slender Man 3D
The Lost Souls
Real Horror Storie…
Five Nights At Fre…
The Cursed Forest
Welcome to DarkHorrorGames (DHG) Online Games
DarkHorrorGames is a website devoted only to horror online games. We don't care about zombies or monsters unless they bring in the atmosphere of pure evil and a sticky sense of blood and absolute horror. Online games will give you a glimpse at what older rated console games are like.
So, what does make a horror game scary?
Online horror games are slightly more popular now because they are severely underserved in the PC and games console world. Horror games are almost none existent, since most horror premises are co-opted into action games. Apparently, hunting down aliens or genetic mutations is no longer a subject for scary games, and is just used as an excuse for another action game. There have been some scary games in the past. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were frightening, as were the early Resident Evil games, with Resident Evil 4 winning all the prizes. Dead Space has its moments, as does Manhunt.
What is so scary about horror games?
With games like Manhunt, it is probably the sheer violence. With Slender (the 3D versions), it is the creepy feeling of being followed. With the Resident evil games, it is the silent arena that makes those scary moments more shocking. Plus, most of the Resident evil games put you against increasingly difficult foes with increasingly less ammo.
Silent hill 1 and 2 were the scariest, due in part to the difficult the handle controls, the feeling of isolation, the very scary noises and music, and the general lack of visibility. Other games have tried to recreate this by not allowing the user to see the floor, but it does not recreate what Silent Hill 1 and 2 managed to achieve.
Are scary online games hit or miss?
Yes they are. But, it always seems to be the ones that show you too much that are the biggest losers. Even with a point-and-click game, if you are only shown a quick flash of possible something, then it is better than the severed head in the paper basket. The popup scary pranks in the games are okay, but they become tired for the more hardcore horror gamer. It is the ones that tease you more that are the best, such as if you click on a photo to have a closer look, and you think you see the little girl in the picture blink.
WARNING: Some images in games on this website might be disturbing for you. Yet, there is no risk or personal/emotional investment, so if you see something that you don't like, simply close the window.
UPDATE: Due to the increased interest in the escape games I decided to initiate a new project entitled Cool Escape Games, which contains not only horror but also all other types of escape games, such as house, prison and room escape
Dark Horror Comments
- Scientist commented on 1916 Der Unbekannte Krieg : Another new game?Well this time i'm too late for the first comment.Here is the translation: The unknown war
- Vampire commented on 1916 Der Unbekannte Krieg : awesome!
- scary_kid commented on Slenderman Daybreak : same here, every corner, every home every trash bag - seems it doesnt exist ... or? anyone found the 8. page?
- scary_kid commented on 1916 Der Unbekannte Krieg : hmm.not bad.
- GO TO SLEEP commented on 1916 Der Unbekannte Krieg : love it ♥
- TurnBuster64 commented on Sacrificium : Game has its moments, but overall good for an old game
- GO TO SLEEP commented on Scare Dare - Abandoned House Escape : awesome horror game !!! thanx Dark you are the best !!! ♥
- scary_kid commented on The Crooked Man : I love this game!! :)
- Eirikpeirik05 commented on Minotaur Maze : Bullhead is my nightmare i scared of this bull man
- Vampire commented on Unrested Souls : BOOM!
- omisha commented on The House 2 : loadingggggggg
- scary_kid commented on Scare Dare - Abandoned House Escape : interesting game, I enjoyed playing :D
- HellaRadKawaiiCat commented on Scare Dare - Abandoned House Escape : Pretty good game and the story was interesting.
- Vampire commented on Scare Dare - Abandoned House Escape : awesome game!
- BraveDragonof214 commented on Black Rose : I am in shock I made it to the end! I nearly had a heart attack playing this. I played it once, having no idea what it was. nearly had a heart attack and didn't move (Dying in game in the process). When I saw markiplier play I was ready to go at it again. Still got my heart pumping fast!
- Scientist commented on The Mine : Still has a few bugs but other than that pretty good.
- hamidcore commented on Scare Dare - Abandoned House Escape : lost
- BraveDragonof214 commented on Scare Dare - Abandoned House Escape : This was awesome! got jumped many times. ten out of ten.
- VortexBloodboy commented on Killer Escape : FUN AS FUCK!!!!!!
- serialzero commented on The Crooked Man : I watched a Let's Play of this awhile back. Really creepy monster. The protagonist's outfit reminds me of James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2. XD
- Scientist commented on Cellar Door : Good game. When i saw that guy on the stairs I didn't really got scared instead i was so:Oh..Hello buttler sir ghost thingy...
- Vampire commented on Slendytubbies : like it 5,5/5 stars^^
- Vampire commented on Five Nights At Freddy's Part 2 : like it,3 is still better...
- xboxluis4567 commented on Five Nights At Freddy's Part 2 : when i donwload the game its says "operation unsuccessful" why? virus? help
- Vampire commented on The Horror House : creepy...
- serialzero commented on Unrested Souls : Fantastic sound. Great atmosphere. I was genuinely startled the first time that shadow creature appeared in front of me. XD
- Vampire commented on Midnight Man 3D : easily wonned
- Vampire commented on Silent Hill Room 304 : ...
- hamidcore commented on The Insanity 2 : cant haaaandellll
- Vampire commented on The Lost Souls : good game #1 on my favourite list