Most Popular Horror Games
The House 2
Slender The Nine P…
The Horror House
Slender Man 2D: Sa…
Slender The 8 Page…
Escape The House O…
Slender Winter Edi…
Silent Hill Room 3…
The Cursed Forest
Slenderman Must Di…
Five Nights At Fre…
The Lost Souls
Slender Mystery Fo…
Real Horror Storie…
Five Nights At Fre…
Slender The Arriva…
Welcome to DarkHorrorGames (DHG) Online Games
DarkHorrorGames is a website devoted only to horror online games. We don't care about zombies or monsters unless they bring in the atmosphere of pure evil and a sticky sense of blood and absolute horror. Online games will give you a glimpse at what older rated console games are like.
So, what does make a horror game scary?
Online horror games are slightly more popular now because they are severely underserved in the PC and games console world. Horror games are almost none existent, since most horror premises are co-opted into action games. Apparently, hunting down aliens or genetic mutations is no longer a subject for scary games, and is just used as an excuse for another action game. There have been some scary games in the past. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were frightening, as were the early Resident Evil games, with Resident Evil 4 winning all the prizes. Dead Space has its moments, as does Manhunt.
What is so scary about horror games?
With games like Manhunt, it is probably the sheer violence. With Slender (the 3D versions), it is the creepy feeling of being followed. With the Resident evil games, it is the silent arena that makes those scary moments more shocking. Plus, most of the Resident evil games put you against increasingly difficult foes with increasingly less ammo.
Silent hill 1 and 2 were the scariest, due in part to the difficult the handle controls, the feeling of isolation, the very scary noises and music, and the general lack of visibility. Other games have tried to recreate this by not allowing the user to see the floor, but it does not recreate what Silent Hill 1 and 2 managed to achieve.
Are scary online games hit or miss?
Yes they are. But, it always seems to be the ones that show you too much that are the biggest losers. Even with a point-and-click game, if you are only shown a quick flash of possible something, then it is better than the severed head in the paper basket. The popup scary pranks in the games are okay, but they become tired for the more hardcore horror gamer. It is the ones that tease you more that are the best, such as if you click on a photo to have a closer look, and you think you see the little girl in the picture blink.
WARNING: Some images in games on this website might be disturbing for you. Yet, there is no risk or personal/emotional investment, so if you see something that you don't like, simply close the window.
UPDATE: Due to the increased interest in the escape games I decided to initiate a new project entitled Cool Escape Games, which contains not only horror but also all other types of escape games, such as house, prison and room escape
Dark Horror Comments
- LjubljanaHC commented on The Intruder - Point And Click Multichoice Thriller : I think this was a marvelous game. The style of animation is noteworthy; silhouette animation is a natural fit to generate mystery and suspense. Music choices were well used. The length of the game was smart, though not particularly difficult. With all of the games out there, this was one I would like to see developed into something bigger.
- LjubljanaHC commented on I miss you : First, poor English (or poor translations) is a great way to sink an otherwise good game. It is distracting and makes me not take it serious. The graphics are fine and the choices effective, but as far as "gameplay" I really resent these being called "games" as you just click around enough until you move to the next area. There is no real challenge.
- foxythefox32x commented on Five Nights At Candy's Online 1 - FNAC Horror At Burgeria : i love fnac and i love this wedsite
- CreepyMika commented on Five Nights At Freddy's 4 - Online Scratch : are you planning to put the download version of fnaf 4?
- scary_kid commented on Nightmares of Leia Ray - Afterlife Experience : @spookydoo Click the handprints in the order that they appeared
- ASAP commented on Nightmares of Leia Ray - Afterlife Experience : short
- spookydoo commented on Nightmares of Leia Ray - Afterlife Experience : How do i get past the finger prints part? I already tried pressing the tab key but i still don't know the code pattern.@scary_kid
- cordelia commented on Nightmares of Leia Ray - Afterlife Experience : @scary_kid Exactly! I feel like I didn't learn anything about the title character at all.
- scary_kid commented on Nightmares of Leia Ray - Afterlife Experience : ok, as much as I can see, she was just clinically dead and then revived. :D uhm, the game itself is just as every other point and click game, not the worst not the best ever made but IMPO it could be much, much better and they could add more detailed story of Leia Rey... AfterAll the game is called "Nightmares of Leia Rey - AfterLife experience"
- cordelia commented on Nightmares of Leia Ray - Afterlife Experience : The story wasn't the greatest, but the art was pretty cool. All in all not a bad game. :)
- dark commented on Five Nights At Candy's Online 1 - FNAC Horror At Burgeria : Is it worth playing? I didn't finish it yet...
- scaredstr8t commented on Psai - Escape From Serial Killer : what is the code? I keep putting in the same code they put in the walkthrough but it doesn't work :/
- scary_kid commented on Kogama Slender - 3D Slender Wants Your Soul : this is ok. I like the fact that this is an online multiplier game . *bad thing is - it lags and the controls can go crazy from time to time.
- cordelia commented on Kogama Slender - 3D Slender Wants Your Soul : @dark Good to hear! ;D
- dark commented on Kogama Slender - 3D Slender Wants Your Soul : np @cordelia . this one lags a little bit at first, but it's playable. will do my best to find new games
- cordelia commented on Kogama Slender - 3D Slender Wants Your Soul : Cool game, @dark! Thanks for uploading. :)
- dark commented on Kogama Slender - 3D Slender Wants Your Soul : don't try to register..it'll take you to other site :( I've uploaded this just to show you the game. thanks!
- cordelia commented on Forgotten Hill Puppeteer - Weird Mystery Case To Investigate : Finally got out! Awesome game. :)
- cordelia commented on Forgotten Hill Puppeteer - Weird Mystery Case To Investigate : Man, that puppet is hard to get right! :/
- purple guy commented on Forgotten Hill Puppeteer - Weird Mystery Case To Investigate : @Dark thank you bro stay awesome !!!
- dark commented on Forgotten Hill Puppeteer - Weird Mystery Case To Investigate : thanks purple guy, doing my best. btw nice avatar
- purple guy commented on Forgotten Hill Puppeteer - Weird Mystery Case To Investigate : Good One Dark As Always !!! ;3
- dark commented on Slender Woods - Puzzle Solver Game With Slendy Behind Your Back : Special thanks to Scientist who suggested this game in pm. Plus if the link stop working, let me know in pm. enjoy
- Joseph Kay commented on Atrocitys 2: The Revenge - Cold Murder Case : 1 star
- Joseph Kay commented on Atrocitys - Part 1 - Pretty bad ending tbh : horrible game. that's it.
- cordelia commented on Factory Of Fear - Another Horror House Walkthrough : The end was sorta weird but all in all not a bad game! :)
- scary_kid commented on Factory Of Fear - Another Horror House Walkthrough : hmm, not the worst but surely not the best game I've ever played... there was only one unexpected jumpscare :D and it totally worked. :D
- dark commented on Mad Father - Indie Horror RPG : @scary_kid thank you.
- scary_kid commented on Mad Father - Indie Horror RPG : honestly, I'm enjoying this game so far. thanks for adding it @dark :)
- scary_kid commented on Mad Father - Indie Horror RPG : I'm going to install this game and try it out now :D looks interesting ...